Monday, November 17, 2008

Griffiss Business Park Sculpture Garden




"Crown" by German artist Rainer Maria Wehner is an impressive work currently on display with six other large sculptures at the Griffiss Business Park Sculpture Garden in Rome, NY. The large scale sculptures by local, national and international artists will be on display through 2010.

Debe and I took our granddaughter Kaitlyn this past Sunday, Nov. 16. It was a cold and blustery day. Very typical for this time of year. I learned about the sculpture garden from a recent article in the Syracuse Post Standard. We had to be in the Rome area that day anyway so we decided to stop by and check it out.

I'm glad we did. The sculpture garden is yet another gem adding to the cultural richness of our Central New York region. I would be hard pressed to suggest a special trip just to see the sculptures however. Unless you are a student or real fan of contemporary sculpture, there simply are not enough to make a special trip in my opinion. That is not to say it is not worthwhile. On the contrary, I was very impressed, but if traveling any distance, try to tie it in with a trip to Munson-Williams Proctor Institute or some other business in the Utica - Rome area.

Next time I'm over that way I may stop by again to see them with a blanket of snow around them. I find that colors contrast against the white back drop of snow so that these types of sculptures look even more impressive.

No comments: