Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Organica"




This is a photograph of the piece of sea weed washed up on Carter's Beach, Nova Scotia that inspired my latest sculpture. The shape intrigued me so I did a series of drawings based on the basic form going off in different directions until I arrived at the one that I ultimately used for the sculpture.

I actually could and may do several variations. The piece that now lives on the front lawn at the Central Square Library is made of mild steel and painted black and red. I would like to see it done different sizes and painted different colors. A very large one, maybe 8-10 feet tall would be nice. I think small for inside would be fun to see as well. I also would like to see what it would look like in stainless steel. I'd be in trouble if I had the money.

I have several proposed major projects for 2009, including a large scale piece for the Arts Center in Old Forge and a somewhat smaller sculpture for the Parish Public Library. Securing funding will be the trick.

More to follow! Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Mick said...

Thanks so much for posting the photograph, Kevin. It never ceases to amaze me that we can find value in the simplest of things. Too, with my current interest in Walking as Art - a conceptual, performance art approach if you will - this is a perfect example of how the documented activity of walking along a beach leads to the production of an artwork as beautiful as "Organica".

KV Abbott said...

I couldn't agree more! Thanks Mick!